Saturday, April 18, 2009

Just a day

Hi, everyone. I want to take a few minutes to capture some memories before they're forgotten...

Dora and Marta think the word "yummy" means "good." So, they constantly talk about the "yummy playground," describe their beds as "yummy, " and ask me to play "the yummy music." I haven't corrected them yet because I find it highly amusing.

Sometimes our communication misunderstandings are based on their limited English and my very limited Amharic. For days the girls asked me for "carsi," which are socks. I bought them each a package at Walmart. They repeatedly asked for carsi, and I kept getting them socks: gym socks-low cut and ankle-height, dressy socks, even socks with the days of the week on them (thinking what a great educational tool). Finally, while we were in the car surrounded by packages of socks Marta pounded Boots' carseat and said, "Mama, no socks, I want a carsi." Went back into the store and bought two booster seats.

When they were in Africa they must have been told emphatically that they would soon be going with their new family to New York. Unfortunately, they think the word "New York" means "home." So, whenever we are out and getting ready to leave they will ask, "New York to go?" When we spend time with a relative or friend they usually ask if she/he will be spending the night: "New York to sleep?" Nearly everytime we pull into the driveway they laugh merrily and exclaim, "New York, New York!"

This evening, as usual, Marta was riding Boots' tricycle, which is ridiculously funny to watch since she is 51 inches tall and her long skinny legs bend nearly to her head as she rides around. I told her that she needed to come in for bathtime. She stopped the bike, smiled, and said, "Sorry, Mama. No go inside. I'm at Red Light."

A good deal of their English vocabulary has been gleaned from singing songs. One of the traditional songs they like to sing has these lyrics:
"Mister Rabbit, Mister Rabbit, your ears mighty long."

Well, the English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher is Mr. Robert, so you can guess what happens each time he's here...the girls start loudly singing this song as soon as he walks into our house. And it's so darn catchy I find myself humming it all afternoon.

Speaking of music, they LOVE it. They listen to music--all genres--as soon as we are done with breakfast, all day, in the car, in their bedroom, in the playroom, in the kitchen, wherever they are the tunes are on. In addition to the Music Together cds, they love an ABC cd that Natalie received as a gift more than 2 years ago, and they can't get enough of the World Playground cds with songs in French, Arabic, Portuguese, and English. I will never forget the look on Dora's face the first time she listened to opera. She was absolutely radiant, and Marta squeeled with delight.

That's enough for now. I hope if you've read this far you have a better idea what these two amazing girls are like and how much we laugh each day.

Love,
Maura

2 comments:

Jenny R said...

I just finished reading your post to my husband! I hope things have calmed down a bit for you. Your girls sound very entertaining! We've been trying to learn some Amharic, but it's hard! I hope B knows a lot of English or this transition will be interesting! Did you hear we have a court date? May 14th!!

Becky said...

These are very cute stories! I'm glad to hear they're doing so well with English. Music is a great way to learn. We'll have to get some CDs ready for our boy...