Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How can I possibly complain about anything??

Here are some chilling facts about Ethiopia that I've unabashedly borrowed from The Rush Family Blog (thank you, Jenny!):
  • Ethiopia's doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000
  • One in ten children die before their first birthday
  • One in six children die before their fifth birthday
  • There are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia
  • 720,000 children have been orphaned by aids alone
  • 1.5 million people in Ethiopia are infected with HIV
  • 60 percent of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition
  • Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school
  • 88 percent will never attend a secondary school
When I read stats like these I want to bow my head and humble myself before the Lord and beg his forgiveness.

How can I live my life in such complete denial about the pain and suffering of my brothers and sisters in Africa? How can I spend more money on more stuff? How can I spend $39 a month at Weight Watchers to encourage me NOT to overeat when I could use that send that same amount to World Vision to feed, clothe, and educate an African child for an entire month?

I don't mean to be such a downer but when am I going to get my head out of the dirt and start to change? When am I going to stop complaining about all the petty dumb things and focus my energies on REAL problems, REAL issues, and REAL solutions for REAL people? Jesus, sweet Jesus, help me to see clearly and act rightly. I can't do a thing right without you.

1 comment:

Jenny R said...

No problem! Glad your spreading it around. We have so much here in America that it's easy to 'forget' about the poverty in other countries. Thanks for reminding us!