Monday, March 30, 2009

Questions for Super Nanny

If you find out that the Nanny tv show is looking for a real-life family in the NY Metro Area, feel free to submit our family. I know what I am supposed to do differently (at least some of it) but I'd really like to watch her incorporate "house rules" to children who don't speak her language. I'm eager to see if she loses her cool after one of the kids leaves a car door open or a car light on for the fourth time in a row requiring yet another visit from AAA. I wonder if she would allow all three girls to wear their pajamas outdoors if it means a quieter, calmer morning. I am curious if she would allow 9-year-old children who weigh what an average 7-year-old in America weighs and have the body fat content of a professional athlete to consume 5,000 calories a day (most but not all nutritious food). Would Nanny let the kids sleep late if they were up crying several times? What if sleeping late meant that one of the younger kids didn't make it to preschool? What matters? What really doesn't? And at what point do the things that "don't really matter" begin to add up to the tipping point of really mattering?

I asked myself where God was in all of this, and then I realized (with some degree of horror) that He is in my dining room. The good news is that He knows me and my mess-ups, and He is walking beside me. If I could get the kids to quiet down, perhaps I could hear Him.

Keep those prayers up.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Hello. I saw your message and got your blog address from the AGCI Listserve. I appreciate your open and honest posts. We are adopting an 8 year old boy from HH this summer. I'll be reading about your experiences and praying for God to give you strength, wisdom, and overwhelming love!

Ron & Maria said...

Hi Maura! Saw your message on the listserv - thought I would have given it up by now but, I never know when there's going to be "THAT" message or posting! And today I got it from YOU! thinking about you all the time - love our travel time together. Wish it were longer even though I couldn't wait to get home and start my schedule with my two - ok, not my schedule....
Give me a ring or email - anytime! 860-292-6278
Love,
Maria

enid flaherty said...

nina is loving you all. and the AAA man doesn't mind meeting you all again. "the things that matter in our lives are not fantastic or grand. they are the moments when we touch one another."